What: Volunteer & service-learning opportunity
Activities: Earthen building, organic gardening, and natural landscaping
When: 1-27 October 2017 (Volunteers may apply to come anytime during this period, starting on either 2nd, 9th, or 16th October, with a two-week minimum commitment.)
Languages: English & Hindi
Facilitators: No formal facilitation or training, but as-needed guidance from Dharmalaya staff and artisans
Description: Volunteer opportunities at the Dharmalaya Institute open to both residential and non-residential participants. During this period, there is no structured educational or training programme as such, but there is plenty of hands-on work to do — including earthen building (adobe, stone, bamboo, etc.), organic gardening, natural landscaping and possibly some tree planting — and Dharmalaya is a beautiful place to get your hands dirty and learn about green living and Himalayan culture in the process.
What to Expect
- Seven hours of physical work per day (we strongly recommend exercising before you come so that you arrive in reasonably good physical fitness).
- Six workdays per week. All volunteers are required to work as a team at least from 9am till 5pm Monday through Saturday (with one-hour lunch break), with optional independent project time on Thursday afternoons if you wish.
- Volunteers are free to take personal quiet time in the evenings (7-10pm) and on Sundays.
- Daily karma yoga tasks (everyone helps with running the place, e.g. cooking, cleaning, labour, etc.).
Since there is no formal instruction during the Volunteer Work Period, one simply shows up for the starting circle at 9:00am every morning to learn about the work to be done each day, and then one does whatever needs doing on a given day, learning by watching others and then doing it yourself. Sometimes one needs to ask for help if one needs it, so a certain degree of self-motivation and initiative makes for the best experience. It also helps to bring a healthy sense of flexibility, since the work to be done might vary from one day to the next, depending on circumstances.
Dates & Logistics
All volunteers must arrive on a Monday, as that is when we do the weekly orientation and training for new volunteers. (Please do not arrive on any day other than Monday.) You are welcome to apply to start volunteering on any Monday during this period, with a minimum stay of at least two weeks. For example, if you were to start on Monday, the 2nd of October, you would need to commit to volunteering until at least Sunday the 15th of October.
How to Apply to Volunteer
Volunteering at Dharmalaya Institute is by application only. Acceptance to the volunteer programme is subject to limited availability. The application procedure is as follows:
1. Chose the date you would like to arrive and start volunteering, as well as your proposed departure date. Note that your arrival date must be a Monday (i.e. the 2nd, 9th, or 16th of October), and your departure date must be at least four two after your start date (in order to meet the two-week minimum commitment).
3. Complete the volunteer application (you’ll find the link to the volunteer application in FAQ). Please read the questions in the application carefully and answer them thoughtfully.
4. Wait for our reply to learn if your application has been accepted. We process applications in batches at least twice per month, so it could take a week or two before we are able to reply.
We look forward to hearing from you.