Overview: Special Group Programmes & Retreats
Dharmalaya Institute offers a unique variety of customised experiential learning programmes and retreats for groups, including student groups, tour groups, schools and universities, gap-year programmes, service organisations, women’s groups, corporate/leadership retreat programmes, and more.
Groups come to Dharmalaya from across India and around the world to experience the Institute’s compelling combination of life-transforming programmes, kind-hearted people, and breathtakingly beautiful setting.
Group programmes at Dharmalaya Institute can be tailored to the specific needs and interests of each group. Read on to learn more.
Activities & Programmes
Your group programme can be customised to include any combination of the following activities and programmes:
- Organic gardening: Growing our own food using natural, high-yield organic techniques
- Natural landscaping: Creating an edible landscape with garden beds, paths, and more
- Earthen building techniques: Traditional, eco-friendly building with mud, stone, and bamboo
- Vernacular eco-architecture: Design, philosophy, and techniques of the local traditions
- Village crafts: Learn to make things by hand by working with local artisans
- Meditation: Instruction and practice sessions in various types of meditation
- Yoga: Instruction and practice sessions in hatha yoga, pranayama, etc.
- Chi Kung (Qi Gong): Taoist conscious movement practice for healthy and vitality
- Healthy cooking: Learn to cook healthy and delicious, plant-based (vegan) Indian and international cuisine
Other Activities and Experiences
- Outdoor activities: Hikes, treks, walking meditations, paragliding, hot springs, and more
- Personal development: Facilitated workshops for self-awareness, empowerment, leadership, etc.
- Group process: Icebreakers, group/team building, cooperation, communication, etc.
- Creativity workshops: Writing, music, drawing, photography, etc.
- Documentary film screenings: A variety of important films on topics of local & global interest
- Seminars: Presentations and discussions on various local and global issues
For groups wishing to stay for multiple days, Dharmalaya Institute offers several accommodation options:
- Group campground (with spacious and comfortable tents, mattresses and bedding)
- Dormitories (either gender-segregated or co-ed, as per the needs of your group)
- A few private rooms and a self-contained studio cottage
For details on accommodation options and pricing, see our Accommodation Options page.
Costs for customised group programmes vary depending on several factors, including group size, length of stay, facilitation/education/training to be provided, type of accommodation required, and food catering preferences. For most programmes with shared accommodation and local-style meals, the typical range is from Rs 1000 to Rs 1500 per person per day depending on group size, programme duration, and facilities required, with higher rates for private acommodation, more elaborate meals, special programmes and services, and other options. After discussing the needs and preferences of your group, we will provide you with a personalized estimate.
Designing a Programme for Your Group
We will be happy to work with you to design a custom-tailored programme for the unique needs and interests of your group. The first step is for you to introduce yourself and give us a brief description of your group, the kind of program you’d like to have, the main interests of your group, the desired time window in which you’d like the programme to happen, and your approximate budget range. To do so, please use the form here.
Preparing for the Trip
Before embarking on your trip to Dharmalaya, we request you to require all group participants to study our Visitor Info page and our Staying Healthy in Rural India page, as well as any other materials we might provide for your group.