Dharmalaya Programmes & Events
The Dharmalaya Institute offers a variety of programmes to the Indian and international communities, including vocational education, service-learning and volunteer opportunities, immersive ecotourism, cultural exchange, and more.
Current Programmes at the Dharmalaya Institute
As we are in the construction stage, most of our current programmes are related to eco-friendly building. We use the construction of our own campus as an opportunity for training locals and visitors alike in the theory and practices of earthen eco-architecture and green building as well as organic gardening and natural lanscaping. We have also been hosting annual meditation and service-learning retreats since 2011, exploring the relationship between the inner and outer environments.
Current sustainability programmes include:
- Green Jobs & Vocational Training for Local Villagers: Dharmalaya Institute provides low-income villagers with on-the-job training in the art and practice of eco-friendly earthen construction (green building), supporting them to uplift themselves through opportunities for continuing skill development and progressively greater earning potential. (ongoing, year-round)
- Volunteer & Service-Learning Programmes: We welcome volunteers and students from around India and around the world to learn the arts and methods of sustainable living (including earthen building, organic gardening, etc.) by working alongside our local team, which also facilities cultural exchange and constitutes a win-win model of immersive educational ecotourism. (Ongoing, year-round, open admission by application) › More
- Intensive Workshops in Sustainable Living: Periodic short service-learning workshops providing hands-on experiential education in various aspects of green living, including earthen building techniques (e.g. adobe masonry, cbb, rammed earth, bamboo, etc.), organic gardening, and natural landscaping. (Usually October-December and March-June) › See our Events Calendar
- Certificate Programme in Earthen Masonry: A formal training programme in the masonry aspects of earthen building (including adobe brickmaking and bricklaying, cob, mud renders, stonework, etc.), providing hands-on training and supervision by master masons and also a theoretical component to explore the ‘why’ of earthen building. (Ongoing, with limited admission) › More
- Internship in Vernacular Eco-Architecture: A formal, academic internship programme providing architects and students of architecture with both practical experience and deeper theoretical knowledge in the arts and practices of sustainable building in the neo-traditional Kangra vernacular style of venerated eco-architect Didi Contractor. (Ongoing, with limited admission) › More
- ‘Earthville Orchards’ Tree-Planting & Carbon-Offset Programme: A win-win programme enabling conscientious global citizens and responsible businesses to sponsor tree plantings in India to help reduce your net carbon footprint while providing eco-restorative employment for rural villagers. (Ongoing) › More
Dharmalaya also offers periodic programmes in meditation, yoga, and holistic personal development, including:
- Group meditation sessions (Seasonal, usually April-June and November-December) › More
- Meditation retreats (Seasonal, primarily in March) › See our Events Calendar
- Work retreats that put meditation into action by combining sitting meditation practice with mindful volunteer service work in green building, organic gardening, and other activities related to sustainable, compasisonate, and healthy living (seasonal, usually March-June and October-December) › See our Events Calendar
Looking Forward: An Holistic Vision for Sustainable Development, Inside & Out
Recognising that complex social, economic, and ecological challenges require holistic solutions, Dharmalaya aspires to develop an array of programmes facilitating the integrated pursuit of learning, economic self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship, community service, health, and personal development. For a glimpse of our inspirations for future projects and programmes, see our Aspirations page.
Help Us Make It Happen
Dharmalaya Institute is a nonprofit charitable project supported by volunteers and donations. You can help us magnify the benefit of our work by making a donation to Dharmalaya or by volunteering here or at home.